Chickpea Veggie Soup
A friend of mine was sick, so I thought I’d try a new soup recipe. I found a great Mushroom Chickpea Soup with Veggies and Greens recipe on Pinterest (follow me here!), but then I found out he was allergic to a bunch of the veggies. So on to plan B. Make something up!
Turned out to be a delicious recipe worth sharing with the world! Feel free to do your own variations, I’d love to see them in the comments 🙂
- Prep: 20 min (add 15 minutes if you use fresh chickpeas)
- Cook: 35 min (add 2.5 hours if you are using fresh chickpeas)
- Yields: 4-6 servings
- 8 gloves garlic, finely chopped
- 4 TBSP fresh ginger, minced
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 2 roset potatoes
- 1 small sweet potato
- 1/2 stalk of celery
- 1 TBSP fresh thyme
- 1 TBSP fresh chives
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup spinach
- 6 to 8 cups of water (or more)
If you decide to use fresh chickpeas, as I did, follow these steps. If not, you can skip this section and go straight to the directions. Just rinse a can of chickpeas.
- Buy a bag of chickpeas or garbanzo beans. You are going to want the small ones, not the large Mexican ones.
- Follow the directions on the back of the back to prep the chickpeas! It is pretty simple. You will boil them for an hour, and then boil them again. This makes them al dente, which is delicious!
- Add garlic, ginger, and a pinch of salt to a saucepan over medium heat with an inch of water. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Make sure that that the saucepan doesn’t run out of water.
- Add all the veggies potatoes, chickpeas and spices and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add water and partially cover, cooking for 15 minutes. Add salt to taste and mix.
- Add spinach and cook for 2 minutes. Taste and see if you need to adjust the salt (I definitely did too little at first, but you can always add more later!)
- Reduce to medium-low heat and simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Serve hot.
This recipe makes enough for leftovers, it is always better the next day!